6.23.2009

The One About Songs

Just the other day I was listening to an old Kasey Kasem countdown show. Thank God for XM/Sirius Radio. I don't know where I would be without satellite radio. Even though subscribing didn't help prevent my friend Jay's layoff. At least it let's me listen to the countdown, and Howard Stern, and 70's and 80's music if I so choose.

And Kasey had asked some question I've already forgotten but it sparked another one in me. And it had to do with songs with days of the week in the title. Just think of it. How many come to mind for you? Let's start with Sunday.

You've got "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Pleasant Valley Sunday," "Sunday in the South," "Sunday Kind of Love," "Sunday Morning Coming Down," you see, Sunday was pretty easy to do.

This is all off the top of my head mind you. Then you've got Monday. "Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down," "I Don't Like Mondays," "Manic Monday," "Come Monday," "Come Next Monday," clearly, Monday is easy too.

Tuesday I came up with "Tuesday Afternoon," "Ruby Tuesday," and "Tuesday's Gone." Then I ran into a problem. Wednesday and Thursday. Could not come up with a thing. So I shall rest my brain and come back.

Friday there's "Finally Friday," "Thank God It's Friday," "Friday I'm in Love," and "Friday on my Mind." And Saturday was pretty easy with "Saturday's Alright for Fighting," S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night," "Another Saturday Night."

I had to look up Wednesday and Thursday. Simon and Garfunkel did Wednesday Morning 3am and Lisa Loeb did "Waiting for Wednesday." David Bowie had a song called "Thursday's Child" and the Hollies had a song called "Thursday Morning." I might've come up with the Bowie song eventually. But that's about it.

See, these are the type of things that fill my brain. I've played this game before too. Name songs with numbers and see how high you can count. Songs with colors, songs with states. Oh, it's endless. And much harder to do without a computer around.

Now the fun part for you is play this with someone who has not read this. I know, that will be difficult to do. But you might find that one person under a rock. Test their knowledge. Maybe they'll know Wednesday and Thursday songs easily enough and make me look like an idiot. It won't be the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment