9.01.2009

The One About Wanting

Need, want, have to have. I suppose they're all basically the same thing. Just basically. You need water to survive. You don't have to have a new pair of jeans if you already have twenty, but you want it. You want it. The new stuff. Perhaps you just want stuff.

Many people love to acquire things. I'm not even talking about hoarders. Or those with any other type of illness or addiction that causes them to purchase anything they don't really and truly need. Because, easy as it is to laugh at, there are genuine issues associated with that behavior. I'm just talking the generic I want it.

For instance, I want new technology. All the time. I am not alone in this. Many of my friends are still irritated that we, the people, do not yet have Star Trek technology. Why can't you just put a device on my forehead or hold something up next to me and tell me everything that's wrong and how to fix it? I've seen it so many times that I have become to think of it as real. And I know that scientists are working on important stuff like that. Why I even heard that they're trying to make an invisibility cloak like Harry Potter has. Is that really necessary? No, but it's cool and if they make it, I want it.

Recently I was having a dialogue with a friend and it developed into what we wanted. As in have always wanted. We both want to not be plagued with headaches or ever have the overwhelming urge to eat. Oh, we still want to eat, but, as food addicts, we don't want to have to punch that urge to eat in the face all the time. We just want it removed. I want to be the type of person who forgets to eat. That's awesome. From my perspective.

I have more esoteric wants. I want my children to always be happy. I want a house where the windows open. No joke, only two windows in my home open, the rest are just floor to ceiling pieces of glass. The problem is, my spouse would close every window and door. He doesn't do nature. I want to have a basement, and a cool attic room. I want nooks and crannies in places other than an English muffin or my body.

I want two porches. I need a hammock. I mean, I've had them before. I am also desirous of a picnic table. We had one when I was growing up. It just doesn't feel like home to me without a picnic table.

I want an over sized leather chair with studs in it. Or studs on it. I'm cool with either. I want a bigger bathtub. I want counter tops that aren't orange. I want to be able to make decent coffee at home. I need a sugar free frozen vanilla latte with two extra shots.

I want to remember almost everything I have forgotten. Some things I am glad to have forgotten. But recently, those who I have known for quite some time have been telling me stories about me. I have no idea what they're talking about. It's as if my mind was wiped clean. Did I really approach strangers and offer them Advil if they would supply me with directions? So it would seem. But I don't recall. (A for real don't recall, not a Bill Clinton don't recall.)

I want to spend more quality time with those I care about. I want to know I'm doing the right thing. I have to have a purpose.

And, come to think of it, I need another pair of shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment